Friday, October 15, 2010

Cross Canadian Ragweed -- The Homestretch

For the past few weeks, this space has been reserved, more or less, for discussion about the history of Cross Canadian Ragweed. From their humble beginnings in Tulsa, Oklahoma, to their cult status as pioneers of the alt-country/Americana movement, these gentlemen have more than represented the true Outlaw movement in country music that would make Waylon Jennings proud. The past two columns regarding Ragweed featured their first two major label albums "Soul Gravy" and "Garage." Today though, I'm going to talk about something different.

Next Sunday, October 24, 2010, Ragweed will play their final concert for the foreseeable future, at Joe's Bar in Chicago, Illinois. If you've been following our series on Ragweed, you'll know that I'll be in attendance at this final show and blogging from Chicago when I get there next Friday. As I've noted before, this is my first, and possibly my last, Ragweed show. I'm hoping to see the show of a lifetime. I'll get more in to that next week.

The importance of Cross Canadian Ragweed, in my mind, cannot be understated. While they have not had the top 40 hits at country radio, they have done the seemingly impossible. They have still made an impact on the industry. This can happen when a band comes out with a completely different sound that catches people off guard, and the band tours relentlessly. While I have been known to absolutely rail against mainstream country radio about their playlist, I do have to give them credit for at least something. While Ragweed has only had one top 40 country hit, I believe it can be safely said that they did break down a lot of doors for, say, the Eli Young Band. The Eli Young Band is from the same Red Dirt country trail that Ragweed has rolled down for years yet they have done something that Ragweed hasn't done. That's score a top 10 hit at mainstream country radio. The comparisons between the Ragweed sound and the Eli Young Band sound are quite stark. Both are heavy on the guitar. Both sounds have an edge to it. I would submit that were it not for Cross Canadian Ragweed breaking down the barriers with their brand of Texas Red Dirt music and the foresight of Universal South Records to take a chance and promote Ragweed, that bands like Eli Young Band, the Randy Rogers Band, and yes folks, even the Zac Brown Band do not find their way anywhere near mainstream country radio.

Mainstream country radio likes to play it safe. That's why there are so many great artists out there that you won't hear, because they're doing something completely different. But, thanks to Cross Canadian Ragweed, some of these artists are finding their way on to mainstream country radio. To me, that is Ragweed's greatest accomplishment, their legacy. The Eli Young Band, Randy Rogers Band, the Zac Brown Band and all others of their ilk owe a great debt to Cross Canadian Ragweed. Their success is built off the shoulders of the giant band from Tulsa, Oklahoma.

For more information on Cross Canadian Ragweed, including ways to purchase their albums and to listen to Ragweed music, please refer to the following web sites:

www.crosscanadianragweed.com

www.amazon.com


4 comments:

  1. I will miss their music so much! So sad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya, it is a bit of a downer, but I think we all need to focus on what the band has said. Their not breaking up, they're taking a break. It is for honorable purposes. Randy Ragsdale's son has autism, and it's at a point where he needs to be at home to help care for him. The band decided to take a break and resume recording and touring when the time is right for Randy to return. In the meantime, they have a wonderful body of work that we can all enjoy until the boys are ready to hit the trail again.

    Thanks for posting your comment, I really appreciate it! I hope you will come back to visit this blog again, take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a handful of faithfuls making the "FINAL THREE". Personally, I'm taking in Lucky Maggie's in Diamond Missouri the day before Iowa making it 4-N-A-Row. 1,500 miles. You mention, "Break. and Randy's return" Ain't gonna happen. Cody stated that, "It's over." You put yourself in a difficult situation by critiquing a band you've never seen live to faithfuls who see 20 shows a year. It's air time and we appreciate that. At this moment in CCR's history, with all the rumors flying around, a more in depth story, one that exposes the REAL reasons the greatest Red Dirt Band of all time is calling it quits, is what we are looking for. I'm not bashing you. There are thousands of fans out there that need basic knowledge. After Chicago, maybe some more info will be made available. Until then, I'm going to savor these last shows.
    Peace,
    Ragweed Rick

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Ragweed Rick, thanks for the comments, and the clarity on the situation. I had not heard that Cody stated it's over, which sounds pretty final to me. I stand corrected. Thanks for the kind words too, I'm definitely not trying to alienate the Ragweed nation. Ragweed truly fascinates me, I don't understand how a band that sounds that good could not find a home at radio. Especially with the large, rabid following. I too am looking forward to the Chicago show, as I've mentioned before, this will be my first and (regrettably)last Ragweed show.

    Thanks for checking out the space and commenting, hope you'll come back another time. All the best!

    ReplyDelete